Monday, April 17, 2006

economics of my office chaiwala!!

It was fine Friday 8:30 am, I came early to start with freshness and thought will start my weekend from 5 pm…as i was going through the work for the day and i found its a relax day not much work, I find a hot cup of strong tea kept on my table at 9:30 am…wal-haa what a start. The chaiwala asked how was the tea; as usual I said “badiya hai” and started working.

It was 11:30, as usual he came again and asked for tea, I said “in the afternoon” and my colleague ordered a few cups…it was 2:30 in the afternoon and I find myself with a cup of tea and some drinking coffee, others having horlicks, some are having plain milk…it was like we were only busy drinking our favorite milk, it was quite a scene everyone with their respective cups sipping and working…sipping and working :). At 3:30 this guy drops in again asking everyone, few orders and few says later, he asked me and i realized this guy pops in every 3hree hours to offer us our dose of milk, I asked him to give me at 4:30…it was 5:30 and our guy drops in and offers every one including me.

I thought lets talk to him and understand his secret of smile every time he flashes while giving us our dosage. I asked him candidly, is this the only place to do business or does he also have other locations. With that flashy outburst, he said “kya sab mazak kar rahe hai mere saath”; at that moment i heard telephone ring, and my dear friend chaiwala takes the phone and excuses himself to recieve the call, he comes back with his
nokia 6600. I got interested, asked him how much do you $$? Without hesitation said enough to sustain myself and my family, I asked how much is enough to sustain you, with a smile he said 25000/-, I said you surely make more than what you are telling me, he said no sahab approx this much only.

I asked him u don’t use only milk do you…with that flashy smile and with some hesitation he said I have to add water, I asked him you use powder milk, and very honestly he said Yes. And you charge 4 rupees… and I got a flashy smile. I asked him how many offices are in your dosage list? 4 offices including yours he said. I asked him add flavors like badam milk, elaichi tea, masala tea ect... I am sure people will like it…again I got a flashy smile this time with confidence he said I already have plans for it.

There was nothing much to tell him, but a piece of advice, beta your tea tastes good but if you start using cow’s milk it will taste gr8. He said “ok” cow’s milk for you next time.


He atleast made sure I be happy.

…Next day I read this news Mr. Biyani is working on an experimental retail concept of selling chai and samosa named as “chamosa”. $$

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good work. Keep it going